Friday, March 4, 2011

Week 5, Assignment A - Reimagining Visual Framing




I was drawn to the original image mostly because I found it rather striking.  It gives off a sort of strange, twisted effect--especially with the affinity of the mostly monochromatic parts and how they contrast with the little red on the faces.

I believe that the artist framed the image as he did to better express the sense of depth in the image.  The various depth cues--such as the people in the background appearing smaller and smaller as the lines of perspective approach a vanishing point--add to the overall effect of the image.  Also, the shot types of the image are interesting.  As a whole, it's a Three-Shot, but it's comprised of a Close-Up, a Wide-Shot, and an Extra-Wide-Shot.

My decision to zoom-in where I did when reframeing the image was based off of my desire to see if it would still have the same effect, or a similar one, without the close-up shot.  The zoomed-in image lacks a lot of the depth and sense of space that the original contains; instead of being an obvious "deep-space" image, it comes off as much flatter--almost "limited space", but not quite--with one figure standing in the front, and the other slightly receded.

No comments:

Post a Comment